Demolition of the Church of St. Alphonsus Liguori

Add to Lightbox Download
The demolition of The Church of St. Alphonsus Liguori on West Broadway in the New York neighborhood of Soho is seen in August 1981.The Church of St. Alphonsus Liguori was a parish for German Catholics established in 1847 by the Redemptorist Fathers. Designed in Lombard Romanesque style by Francis G. Hempler, the building was constructed between 1870-72 . In 1980, the church building has finally settled into the bed of an underground stream and was closed. It was razed the following year with The Soho Grand Hotel now occupying the site. (© Frances M. Roberts)
The demolition of The Church of St. Alphonsus Liguori on West Broadway in the New York neighborhood of Soho is seen in August 1981.The Church of St. Alphonsus Liguori was a parish for German Catholics established in 1847 by the Redemptorist Fathers. Designed in Lombard Romanesque style by Francis G. Hempler, the building was constructed between 1870-72 . In 1980, the church building has finally settled into the bed of an underground stream and was closed. It was razed the following year with...
more »

Filename: st_alphonsus_047.JPG
Copyright